In one year, over 50,000 members have joined the app, and approximately 2,700 have subscribed to Premium Content to enjoy exclusive Al‑Anon member sharings and support the efforts of the World Service Office (WSO) to help the families and friends of alcoholics.
Upgrades to the Mobile App include improved individual and group chats, ability to change user email and display name, and enhanced controls and visibility of member public posts.
To mark the Al-Anon Family Groups Mobile App one year anniversary, here are some timely technology tips for those who are new at practicing the Al‑Anon program in digital spaces:
- Keeping Tradition Twelve in mind, protect your anonymity by using an email address that does not contain your first and last names or birth year.
- Consider approaching an Al-Anon member who has experience with technology to be your Service Sponsor. He or she may have helpful suggestions, such as how to keep your password safe or how to avoid spam online and in email.
- When joining an electronic meeting, be sure to test your camera, volume, and ability to mute before connecting to avoid causing a distraction or interrupting a meeting.
- Be kind to yourself and others! Think before you type, and just as you would in an in-person Al-Anon setting, keep in mind the audience with whom you are communicating and tailor your message to be thoughtful and meaningful, in keeping with Al-Anon principles.
- Finally, remember our slogan “Easy Does It,” and schedule some downtime away from technology to de-stress.
Much gratitude for this app.
This app has been such a blessing! I wish AA and NA had this app technology because I know it’s much needed in those groups as well. I love this app so much, I want it to bless others in 12 step recovery programs.
Yes: Easy does it. Grateful!!