During the month of September, addiction recovery is celebrated in the United States and presents an opportunity for Al‑Anon and Alateen members to help raise awareness about family recovery available in Al‑Anon. Participating in the conversations and activities that will be held at the national level can be as simple as sharing posts and adding comments to recovery posts on social media platforms, placing Al-Anon Faces Alcoholism magazines in public places or asking a TV or radio station to play an Al-Anon public service announcement (PSA).
Al-Anon/Alateen members can:
- Participate in conversations about alcoholism and tag Al-Anon social media pages, i.e. “One in 4 Americans have been affected by someone else’s alcoholism. Al-Anon WSO helps those family members recover regardless of whether or not the alcoholic continues to drink.”
- Include WSO social media handles in posts and comments. This will create a link in the comment so, if interested, readers can go straight to the WSO social media page and learn more. Official Al-Anon social media handles are:
- Al-Anon WSO (English)
- Al-Anon OSM (Spanish)
- Al-Anon BSM (French)
- Alateen WSO
- Use hashtags to insert your shared message into the searches for those key terms., i.e. “#AlAnon provides support to anyone affected by the #FamilyDisease of #alcoholism. #RecoveryMonth”
- Replenish Al-Anon Faces Alcoholism magazines in doctors’ lobbies and waiting rooms, or leave copies in a new location to reach out to more families of alcoholics.
- Contact the TV and Radio stations in your city or town and ask them to play Al-Anon PSAs.
Find links to all of the WSO social media pages at:
If you have any questions, please contact the WSO, firstname.lastname@example.org.