Anyone questioning or concerned about someone’s drinking is welcome to attend Al‑Anon meetings. Many individuals may not realize that their physical, mental, emotional and spiritual well-being are or have been affected by a relative’s or friend’s drinking. Family members and close friends can find support and understanding in the emotionally safe and non-judgmental environment of an Al-Anon meeting.
Referral to Al-Anon as a support group resource is appropriate when clients, consumers or patients are:
- Admitting that a family member’s drinking is affecting their lives.
- Addressing a loved one’s misuse of both alcohol and drugs because alcohol is present.
- Exploring or identifying with others who have a background of alcoholism in their family.
Following up with clients, consumers and patients is recommended to find out if they are attending Al-Anon meetings. A suggestion to attend a least six meetings is often helpful.
To make a referral to Al-Anon for local or virtual meeting information, provide Al-Anon Family Group Headquarters, Inc.:
- Website address: al-anon.org
- Toll-free telephone number: 888-4AL-ANON
Inform clients, consumers and patients:
- No advance appointment or reservation is needed.
- Al-Anon meetings are facilitated by members.
- No dues or fees for membership or attendance; voluntary contributions are accepted.
- Members exchange their experiences applying our program to their lives without giving each other advice.
- It is ok to listen to the discussion without speaking.
- Face to face and virtual meetings (online and telephone) are available.